To fill the gap between the 600-horsepower SW1 and the 1,000-horsepower SW7, EMD introduced its 800-horsepower SW8 model in 1950. Over the next four years, General Motors built a total of 366 SW8s for 49 U.S. and nine Canadian customers at both its Electro-Motive Division plant at La Grange, IL and General Motors Diesel Division facility at London, Ontario. Class 1 carriers received 217 units, short lines and terminal railroads, 97 units, and industrial operators, 52 units.
Powered by the same basic 567-series prime mover as that first introduced in 1939, the SW8 carried an eight-cylinder version of the 567B engine. The car body and equipment layout nearly duplicated its predecessors, but options ordered by customers, and in some cases, added after their delivery, helped to customize the SW8s look. From the optional dynamic brake equipment specified by Lehigh Valley and Southern Pacific, to the distinctive handrail cages by Nickel Plate Road, each owner gave its SW8s a distinctive look.
Contents:Introduction, pp. 5-11;SW8 Roster, pp. 12-13;Class One Operators, pp. 14-52;Short Line, Terminal and Government Operators, pp. 53-70;Canadian Class One Operators, pp. 71-74;Canadian Regional's and Short Lines, pp. 75-76;Industrial Owner's Gallery, pp. 77-80.
Withers Publishing, softcover, standard portrait book 8 x 10 in., 80 pages (4 color pages.), 250 photographs (20 Color photographs).